MobileMobile | Continue

Excel Bar

Excel Bar

Your excel questions will be responsed by our excel experts within 24hrs.Our service is free.

Forgot Pass?
 Register Now
Find
Hot Search: Vlookup Match VBA
View: 417|Reply: 5

Mail Merge On Steriods Using Excel

[Copy link]

Topics

Integral

Integral
Post on 12-2-2016 19:00:33 | All posts |Read mode
I would like to create a Word document which enables me to choose one of three types. The choice would come in the form of three buttons representing a particular mode of transportation. Planes, cars and motorcycles of which each is the name of a tab sheet in Excel.  Within each sheet in Excel there are hundreds of characteristics with each having a unique heading name and a value associated with that name directly under the heading if it is used. For example in Row 1, column A labeled Drive and the cell directly below Front.  I only want to identify maybe 75 characteristics or so on any given merge.  I was thinking about putting an underscore before the Field Name like _Drive and that would indicate I want to include that characteristic in my merge.  If no underscore then no mail merge for that field name.
On the Word document I will author the field name locations to put all the field names in their respective locations and after the merge any fields not filled would be deleted from the final document.  I believe this will require some VBA programming but I'm not Word VBA smart yet.  Any help would be great if this problem is possible.
Tony

Props Report

Topics

Integral

Conqueror

Integral
Post on 12-2-2016 22:18:16 | All posts

What you've described is nothing like a mailmerge. A mailmerge can use only one worksheet as a datasource and you cannot suppress mergefield output that way; doing so would cause an execution error for every such field and record. Furthermore, since you want to relocate the fields for each document, mailmerge is become an ever less relevant paradigm.
The way a basic mailmerge works is:
1. You design your mailmerge main document
2. Connect the document to the relevant data source
3. Insert mergefields where you want data for them to appear in the mailmerge main document; you don't have to use every available field and the same filed can be used multiple times.
Additional field coding can be used to format the mergefield outputs and to conditionally display the mergefields and/or other content. For some guidance on that, see the Mailmerge Tips and Tricks thread at:
http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-m...ps-tricks.html
or:
http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ips-amp-Tricks
You can also apply filtering and/or field coding to control which records get output.
Reply Support Opposition

Props Report

Topics

Integral

King

Integral
Post on 2-12-2017 03:53:21 | All posts

Using the literal text from your post...
is there a tutorial on the proper way to do a mail merge

Reply Support Opposition

Props Report

Topics

Integral

Integral
Post on 2-12-2017 05:18:59 | All posts

Point taken, I just thought this site would have more detailed information not sarcasm

Reply Support Opposition

Props Report

Topics

Integral

King

Integral
Post on 2-12-2017 05:51:40 | All posts

It's not sarcasm.
You posted a very general question best answered with a very general introduction. Otherwise you're really asking someone to take the time to lay out all the ins and outs of a mail merge without knowing your particular requirements so that is something best investigated by yourself in the first place.
If you had said I am trying to do 'x' or 'y' and my data looks like 'z' then comments on the pros and cons of each approach are possible.
This is sarcasm

Reply Support Opposition

Props Report

Topics

Integral

Conqueror

Integral
Post on 2-12-2017 05:58:14 | All posts

+1
Besides which, since mailmerges are usually run from Word (regardless of the datasource), the question would probably better have been asked in Word Formatting  General: http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-m...ps-tricks.html
or:
http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ips-amp-Tricks
Reply Support Opposition

Props Report

Points policy of this forum

Archiver|Mobile|Small dark house|Contact us|Excel Bar

GMT-5, 11-20-2017 00:36 , Processed in 0.219498 second(s), 20 queries .